Sunday, January 28, 2007

Organizing My Life, One File at a Time

A file cabinet. Four drawers, two of which lock, and hanging folder rails. That's what I asked for at Christmas - and I got it! Only I, of all people, would be excited to get a file cabinet for Christmas. Most people were getting new cell phones, iPods and plasma TV's, but I was asking for an upgrade from my two-drawer file cabinet. It was getting so full!

So why the joy? Well, I tend to be very organized and neat, even when I'm not; my messes are organized. That's why I love the show Monk on USA. I don't have all those issues, but definitely the one about certain things being unorganized or out-of-place.

I'm always trying to organize my life better, whether it's files, emails and feeds on my computer, or bills, important documents, or to-do lists in my office. Even clothes in the bedroom, and toiletries in the bathroom. Or food and kitchen items. Thus, the additional filing cabinet will give me much more space to keep my financial and other personal documents organized, one file at a time.

Here's to organization and the neverending journey towards ultimate efficiency. What are ways you stay organized, whether it's at home, in the office or anywhere else in the world?

Labels: ,

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The New AT&T: A Massive Merger

You've probably heard the news by now, and seen the advertising, but AT&T is in the process of completing a huge merger of three strong brands: AT&T, Bellsouth and Cingular Wireless.

In 2005, Cingular Wireless began being sold under the AT&T name after SBC, 60% owner of Cingular Wireless, was merged with AT&T, leaving Bellsouth with the other 40%.

And now that the FCC has approved AT&T's merger, AT&T is acquiring Bellsouth to merge all three brands into one.

There has been much speculation and analysis since the announcement was made that AT&T and Bellsouth were in talks, but to me, it all comes down to integration - unifying all methods of communication under one brand, and perhaps one type or set of technologies.

Some possible drawbacks of the merger may be the ousting of the Cingular name, and the colossal size of the company. Sometimes growth can cause a shakeup with the existing customers and how customer service is handled. We'll see how smooth the transition is.

So, I can't wait to see what things are like for AT&T one year from now. But now that Bellsouth and Cingular are joining the new AT&T, I can bet there will be lots of talk on Wall Street, and a head-to-head competition with Time Warner down the road.


Back Posting Again

Unfortunately, I've been on a blogging hiatus since October, but have returned in hopes never to abandon it again - at least not for such a long period of time. Heck, we've been through four major holidays since I last posted: Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's.

Oh well, at least I'm back at it. Cheers!